60s 70s movies - chained men in rowing boat need to capsize to save themselves

Hi everybody,
I would like your help remembering the name of a movie with an unforgettable scene.

In the scene, several men (maybe 2?) are chained to a rowing boat (tiny boat, only for 2 to 4 rowers?) I don’t know if they were prisoners, or if it was the punishment for something they did while being on a bigger boat. The point was to make them suffer to face their death in the sea by not being able to handle the boat properly until a wave would capsize the boat, and they would inevitably die.

One of the men has some knowledge of physics, and he is aware that if they capsize the boat, the boat will create a chamber of air, and they will be able to breathe while their feet will be able to push or propel them toward the shore.

The clash was to convince the rest of the men of that phenomenon since they would assume that forcing them to be capsized was a sure way to drown themselves.

I think the movie was from the '60s or '70s, but I may have watched it on TV in the '80s. I don’t think it was a comedy. It was probably an adventure movie set on the sea. And I would not be surprised if Burt Lancaster or another charismatic actor of that era was the man proposing to capsize.

Do you remember that scene?

Thanks a lot,

Juan

3 Likes
1 Like

Crimson Pirates could perfectly fit. It could perfectly be that there were only 2 people.

I wanted to find the scene to prove the principles of physics and how a man was trying to convince others about them in the middle of the sea with their life at risk.

2 Likes