A movie very (too much) similar to Shutter Island

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to remember the title of a thriller movie that I watched a few years ago.
It takes place in an asylum or a psychiatric hospital and is very similar to Shutter Island. From what I can remember, there might have been some lobotomy experiments and one of the doctors (I’m not sure whether he was a doctor or played a different role) discovered it. As I said, the story is really close to Shutter Island, that is, we don’t really know if the main character is a patient or a doctor/a stranger, but there is only one clue at the very end when he escapes the burning hospital while smiling as if he was mad. I first thought the movie was Stonehearst Asylum but it is not (I watched it recently). Additionally, I think there is a confrontation scene underground.
I know my description is quite erratic, but in a nutshell the movie is very similar to shutter island except that we don’t know whether it’s a patient escaping at the end or not, but he’s is smiling like a mad/crazy guy in the final scene.

Thanks for your help and have a spooky Halloween :jack_o_lantern:

First guess: Sucker Punch Sucker Punch (2011 film) - Wikipedia

But I’m fairly sure this isn’t the one you’re looking for, I also remember a story as you describe it. Are you certain it’s a film, and not an episode of a series, like X-files or Outer limits or similar?