Dante's Divine Comedy-inspired film set in LA

Hi! I need help with the name of a film. It’s a reworking of The Divine Comedy by Dante and set in Los Angeles. The main character is an unemployed man (I think he was a screenwriter or a playwright) and his wife/girlfriend is expecting his baby. One day he meets a mysterious skinny man dressed in black with sunglasses. They connect instantly and the mysterious man takes the main character to the seedy parts of LA while both have extreme experiences.The wife/girlfriend thinks he is changing and slipping through her fingers. At the end, the main character comes to his senses, leaves the mysterious man and both leave LA (I think by then she has given birth to their child) in their car. The mysterious man takes another companion by his side and mentions Dante’s Comedy and the film ends. The film was American and seemed from between 1992 and 2001 as it had 90s looks, but it could also be from 2002 to 2008 (I watched it on TV in 2009). The actor playing the main character sported spiky dark hair and was a little overweight resembling Greg Grunberg, the actress playing his wife/girlfriend was red-haired. The mysterious man had a receding hairline resembling Kevin Spacey or Bill Nighy. It could be a light possibility that Grunberg played the main character or Nighy the mysterious man, but definitely Spacey did not play the mysterious man. There is a certain improbable scene where the mysterious man wins in an improbable way a fight to a heavy muscle-bound biker. I think the sentence of the last scene is something like that LA seems directly taken from The Divine Comedy by Dante. The wife/girlfriend was called Beatrix or Bea or other name with the same root of Beatrice (Dante’s Lover). I have kept looking for the title of this film. Any help would be quite appreciated. Thank you.

1 Like

shadow hours

2 Likes