Identify crime film from late 1970s early 1980

Desperately trying to remember the name of a movie I must have watch in my late teens. I can only remember snippets and impressions. However here goes.

I believe the film to centre around two criminals based somewhere in the US, they were potentially veterans and I think they were armed robbers. They hid their lifestyle from their families. There was a thriller component to the film where they played a game of cat and mouse with law enforcement who constantly seemed to give them the slip until the end of the film which concluded with a shoot out. It reminds me of films like heat. I can remember an ‘orange(ish)’ saloon car 1970s or so which the two criminals drove around in. I can remember the tension and frustration of law enforcement (maybe FBI) of trying to establish their whereabouts.
Other elements that might help are that it must have been somewhere warm in the states and also seemed to be in small working class housing, small back yard etc etc.

Hope this helps someone remember the name of this film. Keen to watch it again just for curiosity sake.
Thanks.

“In the Line of Duty: The F.B.I. Murders” (1988)?

The timeframe does not really match, but otherwise it is very similar to your description. It is based on a true story and the two bad guys were ex-soldiers, Vietnam veterans, and because of their military training they were able to kill a lot of FBI agents in the final shootout, because when the FBI agents cornered them, the agents did not expect them to take the initiative and go on the offensive and aggressively attack them. The events take place in Florida, a warm place, so this is also a match.
Interesting fact: one of the criminals is played by David Soul of “Starsky and Hutch” fame, who passed away a few weeks ago sadly.

2 Likes

YOU ARE A MOVIE GOD!!! It’s been nearly 20 years of trying to remember this film, and you solve this puzzle in minutes. Many many thanks.

2 Likes