Please help find out name of this movie

I saw this movie about 4-5 years ago on either Netflix or Amazon Prime. Too bad neither has a way to search viewing history, and I could not remember any name for the cast.

It is a story of about early days of the 20th century in America when women dressed like the Mormons . A seemingly educated woman (about 40 yo) went to a rural wooded village to help the local people deal with flood of nearby river. There she met a family with a little girl who often fed a deer from the wood and wonders in the family’s backyard. The father forbid the girl of doing that. One day the father got so mad (could not remember the reason now) and shot the deer. The girl was so heart broken …
This movie probably never been very popular, but I loved the story and want to watch it again.
The main actress was about in her 40’s as well, and she probably is in the same generation of Meryl Streep. She is not very pretty but good looking and a little bitter looking (ok, that’s my feeling).

Thanks for any tips.

1 Like

It could be an adaptation of a novel, titled The Yearling (1938) by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.

Cross Creek (1983).

The Yearling (1994).

2 Likes

Yes, it is Cross Creek. Thank you so much.

1 Like